International relations

Šiauliai is the Member of the Union of the Baltic Cities (UBC).  www.ubc.net

More information should be obtained at:
Tel.: + 370 41 596 303,  + 370 41 596 304,
e-mail: audra@siauliai.lt, dalia.v.@siauliai.lt

International relations

The City of Šiauliai has eleven twin – cities:
Czestochowa / Poland
Etten-Leur / The Netherlands
Fredericia / Denmark
Jelgava / Latvia
Kaliningrad/Russia
Kristianstad / Sweden
Omaha / USA
Parnu / Estonia
Plauen / Germany
Khmelnickij / Ukraine
Baranovichi / Belarus

 CZESTOCHOWA (POLAND)
Record of intent is made 1995.
Czestochowa is a city, located in southwest of Poland, founded in the 13 century. It has over 255.000 inhabitants. The city is famous for its castles, coming from the Middle Ages, Krokuvas-Czestochowas rocky highland and Jasna Gora monastery, that is visited by thousands of pilgrims every year. Czestochowas area is 160 sq. km, here are situated over 30.000 metallurgical, textile, building, foodstuff, light industry, chemistry, ceramics and precious stone production enterprises, also electricity and fuel are produced here
Address of the city Municipality: Ul.Slaska 11/13, 42-217 Czestochowa, Poland.
http://www.czestochowa.um.gov.pl

 ETTEN-LEUR (THE NETHERLANDS)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 1992.
Etten-Leur is situated in the middle of the West Brabant country, founded in 1261. Surrounded by green environs and growing industriousness, the city has nearly 40.000 citizens. A few of the well-respected sectors are: metallurgical industry, machine production, transport, wholesale trade and the building industry.
Address of the Etten-Leur city Municipality: Roosendaalsweg 4, 4875 AA Etten-Leur, Holland.
http://www.etten-leur.nl

 FREDERICIA (DENMARK)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 1993.
The city situated in the middle of Denmark on the coast of the Baltic sea was founded in 1649. Its area is 135 sq. km and population 48.000 inhabitants. Due an ice-free harbour, leading in Denmark according to the amount of cargo transhipment, highways, railway routs to all directions, airport the city has very comfortable transportation conditions. The enterprises of Fredericia refine crude oil and other oil-related raw materials, they also transport unprocessed crude oil to other Danish oil processing enterprises.
Address of the city Municipality: Rådhuset, 7000 Fredericia, Denmark.
http:// www.fredericia.dk

 JELGAVA (LATVIA)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 1990.
The city was founded in 1573. Jelgava occupies 60 sq. km area, of which 2,34 sq. km is water area, parks take 1,62 sq. km. With its population above 70.000 it is the fourth largest city in Latvia. The region of Zemgale, including Jelgava district, is a very fertile agricultural zone - it produces most of the country's agricultural products: crops, sugar, beet, etc. The main industries are pottery, flax and leather processing, food, sugar production and others.
Address of the city Municipality: Liela iela 11, LV 3001, Jelgava, Latvia.
http://www.jelgava.lv

 KALININGRAD  (RUSSIA)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 2003.
Kaliningrad (Russian Kaliningrad, original German name: Königsberg) is a seaport city, capital and main city of the Kaliningrad Oblast, the Russian exclave between Poland and Lithuania on the Baltic Sea. The city is located at the mouth of the Pregolya river, which emties into the Vistula Lagoon.
The city, founded in 1255 as a fortress by the Teutonic Knights, became a member of the Hanseatic League in 1340. From 1457 to 1525 it was the official seat of the grand master of the Teutonic Knights, and from 1525 to (1618) it was the residence of the dukes of Prussia. Frederick I was crowned as the first king of Prussia in the chapel of the Schloss in 1701. During World War I (1914-18) the city was the scene of heavy fighting between the Germans and the Russians. Following the war it was made the capital of the German province of East Prussia.
Approximately 400,000 people live in metropolitan Kaliningrad and a total of nearly one million are in the oblast, which is approximately one-fifth forested. Kaliningrad is home for the Russian Federation Baltic Navy. Kaliningrad has its own distinctive appearance: parks and squares occupy a third of the city's territory, and typical Western European architecture gives way to styles common to modern cities. It is an economic and cultural center where the number of tourists has gradually been increasing in recent years.
Kaliningrad has direct passenger bus (to seven cities in Poland and three in Germany), air, and rail connections to other centers. The city itself attracts attention because of unique monuments of the past that have been preserved to this day and the pride of the city, the Kaliningrad Zoo. It also has considerable scientific potential owing to its two universities, research institutes, technical and liberal arts colleges, and various higher and secondary schools of navigation.
Address of Kaliningrad City Hall: 236040, Kaliningrad, Russia, Pl. Pobedy 1.
http://www.klgd.ru

 KRISTIANSTAD (SWEDEN)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 1990.
The town of Kristianstad was founded in 1614 by the Danish king Christian IV. Today the old town is a centre of trade, service and commerce in a municipality, which has expanded through a number of coalitions over the years. The present municipality once consisted of 35 individual municipalities and still includes around forty small to medium-sized settlements. Kristianstad is today the largest Skåne's municipality geographically with an area of 1.346,2 sq. km and a population of just over 74.000, in Kristianstad - 27.000. Commerce is strongly differentiated, weighted heavily towards consumer products and agriculture with connected industries. This together with government and civil administration, commerce and service forms the basis of business life. The municipality has a university, six upper secondary schools and well-developed primary education. Transport networks are well developed, the airport has daily connections with Stockholm, Palanga, Kaunas. There are good railway connections.
Address of Kristianstad Municipality: Town Hall, V.Storgatan 10-12, 29132 Kristianstad, Sweden.
http://www.kristianstad.se

 OMAHA (USA)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 1996.
Located on the western bank of the Missouri River, the city has been an important agricultural and transportation centre since its establishment in the late 1850's. In its earliest history, Omaha was a trading centre and the "Gateway to the West." From these roots, Omaha has steadily grown until it is now the 48th largest city and the 60th largest metro area in the nation.
The city limits of Omaha extend over 100 square miles. The five county metropolitan area covers nearly 2,500 square miles. Omaha has shown steady upward growth for the past five decades. There are over 670,000 people within the five-county metropolitan area, and over one million with a 50-mile radius of the city.
There are over 17,400 businesses located in the metropolitan area, according to an U.S. Department of Commerce business survey. This growing economy is home to four Fortune 500 companies - ConAgra, Mutual of Omaha Companies, Berkshire Hathaway and Peter Kiewit and Sons. Over 30 other Fortune 500 companies have manufacturing plants or service centres in the metropolitan area.
Address of the city Municipality:: 1819 Farnam St., Omaha, 68183 Nebraska, USA.
http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us

  PÄRNU (ESTONIA)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 1992.
The town of Pärnu was founded in 1251 on the banks of the Pärnu River. It occupies 30 sq. km area, of which 2,1 sq. km water area and 6,5 sq. km - green area. The city is fourth largest city in Estonia by its population - 44.978 inhabitants. Pärnu is a resort town that offers health rehabilitation services all year round. Historically its branches of industry have developed on the basis of its geographical location and local resources. Processing industry, construction and small business of commercial and services sectors are the most important areas of activity of the town.
Address of the city Government: Uus 4, 80098 Pärnu, Estonia.
http://www.parnu.ee.

 PLAUEN (GERMANY)
Agreement on cooperation was signed in 2010.
The city of Plauen with its 65,000 inhabitants is the largest city in the Vogtland region and is the area’s top lace centre. Plauen was first mentioned as a town in a document dating back to 1244. The city has had a chequered history. Once lace production started in the 19th century, Plauen’s economy experienced a boom and hit a peak, mainly as a result of its lace industry, which became famous around the world. 75 per cent of the city was destroyed during World War II and the city was deliberately neglected under the former East German regime. Plauen has developed in a striking manner since German unification in 1990.
Address of the city Municipality: Unterer Graben 1, 08523 Plauen, Germany
http://www.plauen.de

 KHMELNYTSKYJ (UKRAINE)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 2001.
Is a regional centre of Podillya, one of the Territories of Ukraine and city of oblast (the province).
Its area is 5.2 thousand hectares, its population is 267.800 people. Distance to the Capital of Ukraine - Kiev - is about 400 km. First the city was mentioned in 1493.
Khmelnitskiy contains a number of manufacturing complexes with highly skilled force that can be of interest to foreign investors. Another of Khmelnitsky’s untapped resources is tourism. The city is blessed with a number of natural and historical attractions, but the resources do not develop them into world-class tourist destinations. But Khmelnitskiy is one of the most remarkable cultural centres of Ukraine.
It is necessary to remember the beneficial geographical position of the City.
Khmelnitskiy is a gateway to both the East and the West and is easily accessible from all major cities in the NIS and Eastern Europe. Khmelnitsky also has an operational airport. Cargo transport is also available by rail and all major cities.
Address of the Municipality: Gagarinas St. 3, 2900 Khmelnitskiy, Ukraine
http://www.khmelnytsky.com

BARANOVICHI (BELARUS)
Agreement on co-operation was made in 2001.
The city was founded 1871, is one of the largest industry and culture centres in Belarus. It occupies area of 55 sq. km and has a population over 175.000. Besides well developed textile and light industries - cotton, knitwear, and toys and shoe production, here are functioning machine production, domestic chemistry, food, milk and furniture industries.
Address of the executive committee: Lenin squares 2, 225320 Baranovichi, Belarus.

Last Update: 2014-04-25 13:33:33 Back
Calendar of events
M T W T F S S
    010203
04050607080910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
August
    2014     
Subscribe news
Enter yuor email: